Friday, April 18, 2014

IEEG

Have you ever wondered about the difference between i.e. and e.g.? Well, here's how to get around it. Basically, you probably mean "for example." Just say that.

Done.

Not convinced? OK, then here goes:

You probably know that i.e. and e.g. stand for Latin things. Let's not bother with that. Let's just stick to the meanings.

i.e.: in other words
e.g.: for example

For some reason we're all convinced we should always use i.e. I don't know why. We just are. Unfortunately, we're wrong. Well, to be fair, you're wrong. I'm not. That's why I'm writing this post and you're not.

One way to remember the difference is that e.g. can be used with etc. You're listing some examples, but there are probably more. However, i.e. means you are simply rewording or clarifying what you've just said, so you can't use etc. Still confused? Here are some examples:

I grew up watching baseball while listening to three generations of Carays (i.e., Harry, Skip, and Chip).

In this example I stated that there were three generations, so the part in parentheses is a clarification, not a list of examples. I listened to Harry Caray, Skip Caray, and Chip Caray. There are no other relevant Carays in this story; therefore, it would not make sense to use either etc. or i.e.

In contrast:

While it's still early in the season, a couple of weak spots have already emerged in the Braves' lineup (e.g., Dan Uggla).

Here I mentioned "a couple of weak spots," but I only gave one. Clearly this is an example of one possible weak spot and not a clarification, which is why e.g. works here. Yes, I could have used etc., but why bother? You all knew I meant B.J. Upton anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment