Thursday, March 10, 2011

The codependency of commas and conjunctions

Okay, so you know how you always use a comma and a conjunction to join two complete sentences? That doesn't mean that you use a comma every single time you come across one of the conjunction words. When they are not being used to join two separate sentences, they do not require commas. They are free to roam the world on their own without always having to follow that stupid comma around.

Just so we're on the same page, let's do a couple of practice sentences. Ready?


I like things and I also like stuff.

First, find the conjunction. Got it? Right. It's "and." Now decide whether there are two complete sentences here. If you take out the conjunction and put in a period, does it make sense?

I like things. I also like stuff.

Yep. It still makes sense. So you know the correct sentence should be:

I like things, and I also like stuff.

See how easy that was? Let's try another!

There's a snake in my boots and poison in the waterhole. 

Does this need a comma? Let's find out! The conjunction in this sentence is again "and," so let's try taking it out and putting in a period instead.

There's a snake in my boots. Poison in the waterhole.

See how that second sentence isn't a sentence? Because you are not joining two complete sentences, that means you can (and should) use "and" all by itself without its friend the comma. In this case, the original sentence was correct:

There's a snake in my boots and poison in the waterhole.

So please get this one right. If you have two complete sentences, you need both a comma and a conjunction. If they are not two complete sentences, you do not need the comma. If you can understand this, you are a better writer than our friends at my favorite local news affiliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment