Monday, December 6, 2010

I've got one for you today

The title was a clue. Get it? 

Here's the deal. You don't say "have got." Just don't. Say "have" and be done with it. Observe:

She's got brown hair.

Why are you adding unnecessary words that just sound dumb? Just say:

She has brown hair.

Do you see how much easier and less stupid-sounding that is? 

It works just the same way if you're saying you need to do something.

I've got to go to the store today.

This is wrong. The correct statement would be:

I have to go to the store today.

It just makes more sense, doesn't it? Why use two words when one would suffice? 

I'm sure many of you are going to argue with me right now because of the song "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts." While this song does exist, that doesn't mean it's correct. And do you really want to have that argument anyway? Any argument that starts with, "Zazu from The Lion King said..." is probably not going to go well. Just trust me on this one. You'll sound so much more intelligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment