Saturday, December 4, 2010

We'll start with an easy one

English doesn't make sense. Don't even try to make it make sense because sometimes it just doesn't. Seriously.

"Lead" is not the past tense of "lead." Lead is an element. Its chemical symbol is Pb and its atomic number is 82. You cannot say, "She lead me to the cookies." I know you really want to because "read" is the past tense of "read," but just don't do it. 

There's a separate word for the past tense of "lead." It's "led." It's perfectly acceptable to say, "She led me to the cookies," provided, of course, that there are cookies involved. Or if you can't remember that, don't even bother with it all. Just say, "I followed her to the cookies." Problem solved.

You learned something today. And now I want cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment