Thursday, December 16, 2010

That/Who

A person is a who, not a that or a which. This is a big one for me. I'm not sure why, but it drives me nuts, and nobody seems to get it right. Let's demonstrate.

My sister is the person that gave me a cookie.

By using "that," I have effectively dehumanized my sister. While in theory that's entertaining, it doesn't make for a very good sentence. The correct sentence would be:

My sister is the person who gave me a cookie.



Sounds less stupid, right? Here's an example with "which."

The space cowboy, which was named Maurice, also went by many other names.

I don't know why you'd even try to say that. It sounds dumb. Of course, the correct sentence is:

The space cowboy, who was named Maurice, also went by many other names.

Although "space cowboy" isn't a proper noun, it still refers to a person, and people are whos. 



See how easy that was?

1 comment: