Friday, June 17, 2011

I think I'm about done with this

Being an editor, I deal with stupid people and stupid mistakes all day long. It's kind of my thing. But sometimes it gets to me, like when I have a five-page interview that looks like it was transcribed by a deaf person. Here's my friendly advice to the transcriptionist on this one:


People are who, not that.


Don't use a comma before a conjunction when you're not joining two sentences


You tune in to something. You don't tune into it. 


They are salespeople, not sales people. 


You cannot be a gentlemen. 


Tenses stay consistent throughout a sentence. 


AP style means no serial comma.


Parallel structure exists for the purpose of lists. 


The word "is" does not need to be followed by a comma (?). 


It's not always "you and I."


The word "counterintuitive" exists.


"You’re going to think about what the natural order or cycle in which you would present is," is an awkward phrase. Try "You're going to think about the natural order or cycle in which you would present."


Spell company names correctly. You can use the Google to help with this.


Come on now. I know it's Friday, but at least pretend to do your job.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer to call it an Oxford comma. Doing so makes me feel less incorrect in using it.

    ReplyDelete