Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fun with Falcor

I have a thing for text-voice software. It started when I was a kid and we had Davidson's Kidworks (the creativity kit that writes, paints, and talks). You could program it if it didn't say words correctly, so of course I programmed it so it never said my sister's name correctly. I also programmed it to put the emphasis on the second syllable of "decade" and then typed JFK's moon landing speech. You get the idea.

Anyway, my new software is called Dragon, and I love it. I can dictate while I'm doing something else instead of having to type everything. This is really only useful for writing, but I do that a lot, so it's awesome. Naturally, I named my Dragon software Falcor. 



Falcor is my personal software. It doesn't work too well when my husband uses it, but it gets me. Mostly. For example, it can't seem to figure out the word "stocking." Apparently I need to really over emphasize the L to get it to type "stalking." Stocking stocking stocking stalking stalking stalking stalking. Anyway, we seem to have figured it out now. Stalking. Good job with that one, Falcor.

I also have the problem that I instinctively thank Falcor any time he follows one of my commands. I'm going to have to go through my writing and delete all those extra thank yous.

Sometimes Falcor also puts in random words when I say nothing. Things like "Hebert," "homework," and "all" have randomly shown up. I do not know why he thinks I would have said "Hebert." This is puzzling to me.

And sometimes I just have no idea where he got his information from because I absolutely did not say "terrific in his face." In any context. And I have no idea what that could translate to. I asked him what the hell that was supposed to mean, but talking to Falcor is kind of like talking to a small child.

Unfortunately, now I'm going to always imagine Falcor with the expression in that picture. And it's fucking creepy. Imagine that saying in a high-pitched voice, "I don't think so, Angie." Nightmare fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment