Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Her and me

This is actually one of those ones people really struggle with, but it's not so tough once you figure it out.


Her and my grandfather were married for 50-some years.


First of all, you know it's wrong because it breaks my Golden Rule of Editing: if it sounds stupid, it's probably wrong. This sounds decidedly stupid.


A good way to check this one out is that in this sentence, it's essentially saying that two different people performed the same event. You could then break this sentence apart to say:


Her was married for 50-some years.
My grandfather was married for 50-some years.


You're saying the same thing. It's just rather verbose. It also illuminates the problem with this sentence. Her was married? Huh? This sounds like it's some kind of backwoods hick talking. "Her was my best sister-daughter."


So instead, put in a word that makes sense, like so:


She and my grandfather were married for 50-some years.


Doesn't that sound better?

No comments:

Post a Comment