Thursday, February 10, 2011

Odd little kid story

My best friend growing up lived right by this marshy swamp-type area, and her back yard flooded almost every year. Of course, this meant we would get sticks and pretend to go fishing. For whatever reason, this turned into us being Shrimp Boat Captains. I'm pretty sure we started this before "Forrest Gump," so I'm not entirely sure where the idea of Shrimp Boat Captains came from. At any rate, we clearly didn't know much about fishing because despite being Shrimp Boat Captains, the only fish we ever caught were trout. 

As we got a little older, this became a wildly funny joke to us because even as small children we realized the absurdity of the situation. We continued the Shrimp Boat Captain charade for several years, even creating a magazine, Shrimp Boat Captain Life. Among the highlights in Shrimp Boat Captain Life: you could donate money to help disadvantaged trout get proper schooling. There was also a section of the magazine called "Meat the Trout" so you could decide which disadvantaged trout to help.

I have no idea what the hell made me think of that, but the "Meat the Trout" thing just cracks me up every time. I'm convinced I was an extremely irritating little kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment