Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Well, there was that one time...

I really enjoy this first line from a sales letter:


Have you ever wanted to create your own online empire?


It's like asking, "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" or "Have you ever shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?" These are one-time events. That's usually what "ever" indicates in these sorts of questions. I imagine a conversation like this:

Me: Hey, remember that one time I wanted to create my own online empire?
Other Person: Oh, yeah! That was so much fun! And then we went out for ice cream, and yours melted all over your shirt.
Me: Now that's what I call a sticky situation.


Then there's laughter and we all go home. 


I find this kind of thing way too amusing, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment